Monday 8 January 2018

I'm Sorry, What Did You Say


Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. Happy 2018, I'm not really a New Year kinda girl only because I'm not into the whole new year new me jazz. I decided this year to just be me! which if you know me will be challenging enough without throwing any resolutions into the mix.

Now its no surprise that Where Is My Sunshine has had a quiet 2017. I only published one article on the blog last year and I will explain why in a minute. The article I posted was very personal to me, you can still read just click here but it was after this that alot changed. I was still writing the entire year, but I didn't publish any for people to read and the reason for that is a simple sentence I heard so often I was ready to pull my hair out and do a Ms Spears 2007. Ok I may be a lil' dramatic but never the less it stopped me from doing something I enjoyed and that is not ok!! You ready for it...

You Must Be Alright Again Because Your Not Acting/Looking Depressed..



Now maybe not the exact wording, but I've heard so many variations of this silly nonsense and they all make me mad (see face above) P.s I love Kevin Hart! Seriously though please don't pick me up wrong here as it's important the difference in asking someone, how they are feeling and telling them they are alright. Although more often than not it was on social outings that I heard this the most but I still heard it from family friends and people I would see often. 

So lets say for example, you know someone in your group of mates who has depression and is open about it and can talk freely about it. You see them smiling laughing and joking around. another person in the group can pass a simple comment on how its great to see your over your depression, anxiety etc. which is a statement that can be received different by everyone and will most definitely not annoy everyone. (I'm a sensitive sally sometimes.) If the person your thinking on while reading this is open with their struggles, perhaps an easier approach is to ask them how they are doing first.

I can hopefully explain my own situation a bit better, because I understand not everyone will react the same way I did. In fact what annoys me one day probably wouldn't a few days later. Ok so for me the reason I held back on publishing a lot of my writing is simply, I was beginning to feel that I was being judged too much on the articles. Now I understand I have a public blog for anyone to read and therefore I can be judged openly. I am fine with that, honestly. What I'm not fine with is that if I happened to write about feeling low and someone seen me happy, I was made out to be a liar and vise versa. 

To Talk Without Thinking Is To Shoot Without Aiming

Moods change day to day, hell mine change at 30 minute intervals and ain't I a delight to be around. (shout out to my poor husband for putting up with me) but seriously what i write is not everything about me and if I'm unhappy today doesn't mean I won't be hosting a happy party tomorrow. 

It is very much F'd up, because you don't want people walking on egg shells around you either. Mental Health is still a mysterious thing to understand, no two people are the same and it takes so much time to understand your own mental health issues and habits. Thankfully I'm definitely more aware of my own and for most of the time aware of what I need to do for myself if I'm feeling a certain way. Be it a sleep, a walk, chocolate or a very large alcoholic drink!! (drink responsibly fokes 👌) and F.Y.I its very rarely a walk!

I will chat to you all soon as I hope to make more of my writing public again, so watch this space. 

As Always,
Stay Safe, Stay Healthy & Look After Your Sunshine.

xO Leonie





No comments:

Post a Comment