Monday 11 May 2015

Are you okay?

Hello you, I hope your keeping well.

So statistically every one in four people suffer from a mental health issue, to me this is frightening numbers and raises the question how well do we really know the people were close to? I know what you're probably thinking, that you would know for definite if your loved one was suffering. Honestly I don't think it's possible, not for everyone anyway. From being there myself I know that it's not easy but it is possible to hide how your feeling and keep it to yourself. I'm so thankful I spoke out about how I really felt, instead of letting it eat away at me now if I'm having a bad day you will be able to tell. I just be a massive grumpy pants which my family will try to tell you it's every day but they are all compulsive liars. 😂 (I joke) 




When I posted my first blog post admitting I suffer from depression some of the things I hear the most and still to this day are "Really you, but sure your always smiling" or "You don't look depressed". So what does a depressed person look like, walk down a busy street and I bet you couldn't pick a person suffering from mental health from someone who doesn't. I know for sure that I couldn't. I feel we all need to be more concerned with the here and now and please take a proper look at your family, your friends, your work colleagues but especially yourself.  It's so easy to hide from certain people and especially if your surrounded by people who have negative thoughts about mental health, I know I wouldn't want to open up to them. But honestly there is so much help available and plenty of people to talk to that if your family aren't supportive don't give up and keep it all to yourself because that won't help it will make you suffer more. 


 

Unfortunately so many people struggle to admit their feeling and sufferings that more times than enough it's too late for help. If you think someone is hiding a mental health issue, let them know your there. If your busy and someone wants to talk, sit and talk. Day to day things can wait. Having the chance to save someone's life by just being there for them, or noticing they need help that can't wait. Last year nearly 600 people in ireland took their own lives, now I'm sure they are not all related to mental health but I will guess that a large number are. It's scary and it's sad but hopefully we can all take a look at our own circles, help each other and pray that it's not too late. 



It won't be easy and it takes many attempts to find the help that works best for you, but it is possible and please don't give up. It's okay not to be okay.


Stay safe, stay healthy and look after your sunshine.

xO Leonie 

No comments:

Post a Comment